Handmade In Keswick at Craftfest

Friday, 24 August 2012

Its Nearly Time

 September Craftfest

(this is a long post - you might want to grab a cup of tea)

With just about a week to go until the next Craftfest event, I thought I'd better have a plan for how I'm going to approach it (I did this prior to the last event, which was my first here).

It is different this time because I am Promotions Team Leader (I think it was something to do with me having the plan last time, or maybe it was cos I mentioned a spreadsheet...), but the basics for me personally are about the same.  There's just more of it.

Objective

 

My objective is about the same; some sales would be good, but I'm taking the long view and want to improve my Search Engine Optimisation.  

 Strategy

 

I hoping that, if I can get Handmade In Keswick mentioned enough times in enough different places, in enough different ways, then that will improve my Google rating, so I get found more easily, over a long period of time, by my potential customers.

Nitty Gritty

 

So, with that in mind, I intend promoting everyone else's stalls until my head explodes, in the hope that some of them will do the same for me.

 Star Trek move (First Contact)  

 

I've made a start by 'friending' all the stallholders and inviting them to join us on the Promotions Team, and tell us where else on the net we can find their business.

I am now following all of 'em on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest Stumbleupon, LinkedIn, circled Etsy sellers, and gradually working through reading, sharing and Stumbling and following blogs (some blogs are easier to follow than others I find).

Then The Work Begins


And I have Stumbled at least one page from nearly everyone's Craftfest stall so far, will be doing the same via Pinterest, and Wanelo, and I have voted for Craftfesters on Craftjuice.  I've written a couple of press releases, and also been blogging about the event as well as how we go about coming up with ideas , trying to draw in the lurkers
and more specific information about CraftJuice
and Stumbleupon

During The Craftfest event

 

Every day, from Saturday 1st to Saturday 8th, I'll be blogging -last time it was about everyone in the Team I was in, but I'm not gonna manage that for every single stall holder !! Each blog will be posted on my Handmade In Keswick Facebook Page; Tweeted; Pinned; and Stumbled, shared on the Creative Connections Ning, various forums and teams that I belonged to. 
I'll also be encouraging the rest of the stallholders in group promotions.  It'll give us all a bit of focus and hopefully be a lot of fun. Every day, I'll post new tasks on to Promotions Group thread, divided up into 3 sections: - so that those who are keen can get a chunk of work done; and those who are short of time, and also those who prefer non social media promoting, can still all contribute (hopefully).

Its going to be a lot of work, but I'm going to be using the schedulers on Facebook and Blogger and Tweetdeck to help me so that I can get some of the work done in advance.  
 
And for the 3 minutes I won't be online in the next 2 weeks? 

My day job finishes at the end of September, and as much as I'd love to do all this full time, we all know how the economic climate is when you're selling stuff at the mo, so I'll be looking for a new day job...unless...maybe...what if...Harrods see my work during Craftfest and place a massive order!!

PS 

One more thing. At the end of the whole thing, I'll be asking the Festers for feedback so we can evaluate and adjust for November Craftfest.

Weather In Keswick

Who cares about the weather! Get yourself on Twitter (#Craftfest)

Comments please

What are your objectives?
Put them on the Promotions Thread as well if you like. 

5 comments:

twistedpixelstudio said...

I wish you all great sales! Will be checking it out for sure!

theoldbutton said...

Awesome! Great fun read and some really good food for thought. I admit to not being very good at planning - I work best to tight deadlines, so I can see I need to do some development here.

You mentioned some blogs are easier to follow than others - is that because of difficulties actually signing up to follow. This has stumped me on occasions - especially when I have to join a site - I can never remember my password - tends to put me off I'm afraid. Perhaps you can do a bloggers special guide after September CRAFTfest is finished!

Hope you get your Harrods order!

lu said...

Thanks Debbi

Sharon, I will be setting you a daily deadline -keep the http://creative-connections.ning.com/group/craftfest-stall-holders/page/craftfest-promotions-group
every day to find out what it is.
PS. Only Sharon has to think of it a a deadline - everyone else, just come along anyway
:)
Lu

Catherine@theMacsX said...

I already have 101 things on my daily to do lists for the next week and for the CRAFTfest week but I'm up for the challenge of adding more. I'll be doing the daily blog thing again - this time I actually have some followers.
Looking forward to a fun and fruitful week. Like you I'm in for the long haul, but an overnight success would be nice.
Got my CRAFTfest notebook, evernotebook, folders and everything else at the ready - let's get this party started.
Hope everyone achieves their goals.
Catherine at The MacsX

Clare Lewis said...

A very motivating post Lu, as a first timer to craftfest myself this September it was great to read your first time goals compared to your goals this time round.